Monday, April 14, 2008

The Great Mayo Debate

When we were first married, Bobby and I quickly realized that we had very different views on Mayonnaise. I love REAL Mayo. Yummy, rich, creamy. Bobby prefers the tangy zip of Miracle Whip. Ew! I have from time to time struggled through a tuna salad or sandwich made with it. But not happily.
During the first couple of years it was "The Great Debate." We would even question dinner guests such as the missionaries or friends on their opinion. Always to mixed reviews. One missionary even told us that he did not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip. He wanted to keep it that way so that he could go with whatever his future wife prefered. Smart man.
For years I tried to win Bobby over to the Mayo side, until one day I read the nutritions labels.
Real Mayo - 10 grams of fat per Tbsp
Light Miracle Whip - 1.5 grams of fat per Tbsp
Well, with news like that, I happily left Bobby alone about his Miracle Whip and we have been buying both ever since.
This afternoon, I decided a tuna salad sandwich would be great for lunch. So as I was boiling the eggs, I prepared the rest of the salad. I scrapped the bottom of the mayo jar and it wasn't enough, so I opened the pantry door and grabbed the new jar Bobby picked up at the grocery store on Friday. I knew that he bought one jar of Miracle Whip and one jar of Mayo. So, I grabbed the mayo.
I opened the jar and scooped out the mayo. Immediately, I knew it was not the real stuff I craved. It was too thin. I looked at the front of the jar and it said "Light". Now, light is definitely not the same as "real". So, I finished my tuna salad with what I had. I am sure that when choosing the "light" variety, Bobby had only the best intentions. Light should be better for me and he was probably concerned about long-term health. I won't even mention it to him because he is out of town this week and he loves me enough to go grocery shopping and buy mayo with less fat.
But, I WANT THE FAT!

7 comments:

Laura said...

I HATE MIRACLE WHIP!!! Kraft is hands down the best. But recently I noticed that they have made something new: they made the real mayo with olive oil instead of the bad for you stuff they usually use. I decided to try it, and I'm not going back! It's great! I can't tell a difference, and it's less fat and more nutritious fat (though still not low fat). Yum, Yum, Yum!!!!

Ivy said...

Calder and I have the same debate. I love Miracle Whip and he's a mayo guy. We buy both, but with just the two of us - it was quite the delimma the first time we went grocery shopping together to stock up on necessities when we first moved.

Jessica said...

Bummer about your mayo. I feel for you girl.

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

Great story. I loved it. I am one of those people who really don't pay attention...but I am a Mayo lite user (I think)

Andrea said...

You crack me up!! I love Miracle Whip!! That is all I had growing up. I actually hate subway turkey sandwiches because they use mayo. But mayo is good for some things. I like mayo on certain foods and sandwiches, but I love miracle whip. I love the zest. My hubby loves mayo, so we too have both jars.

Carolina girl said...

We are strictly Miracle Whip lovers over here in Youngsville!:)

Jennifer said...

I'm with YOU, Erin! If it's Miracle Whip, I'd rather have no mayo at all!
How's the babysitting going?