Monday, February 4, 2008

Blessing #5 - Our family is growing larger

Well I said on Saturday that I felt shock, excitement, love and happiness. I unexpectedly found out that our family is growing larger. Around 8 pm picture mail and text messages flew through cyberspace as family members got the news. My Dad was at the Saturday evening session of Stake Conference when his phone started vibrating. He checked his phone and then immediately called my Mom to ask, "Does this mean what I think it means?" She didn't know what he was talking about. Mom didn't hear her cell phone alert her that she had a new message since it was in the other room. She checked it just to make sure. She had indeed received the same message that Dad had. More family members started calling Mom to find out if they were interpreting the message correctly.
At 8:15 my home phone rang. It was my mom. She asked, "Did you receive a picture mail from Greg?" (Greg is my brother.)
I didn't think I had, turns out I did but I didn't hear my cell phone alert either. Besides I can't receive picture mail to my cell phone.
"Well I have," Mom said. "It's a picture of a hand.........A hand with a ring on it!" GASP!!!
Immediately I understood. My brother Greg proposed to his girlfriend Nancy Saturday evening. So I am gaining a sister-in-law, a niece and a nephew. My new niece and nephew are two of the kids I baby-sit!!!
I called Nancy's phone - no answer. I called Greg's phone - my 5 yr old nephew, Zachary, answered. I talked to him for a few minutes and then Nathan, my soon-to-be nephew, got on the phone. "Miss Erin!" he said.
"You are not allowed to call me Miss Erin anymore," I informed him.
With all sincerity and confusion he asked, "Why wouldn't I call you Miss Erin anymore?"
"Because you have to call me AUNT Erin!"
He started laughing, "How did you know my mom was getting married?"
They were still trying to eat dinner at the restaurant where Greg proposed. Word travels fast!!
Anyway, I am thrilled. I'm even told a wedding could be as soon as March. MARCH!! It's already February!!! When Greg and Nancy told my 96 yr old grandmother, she asked "When?" Greg teased her with "Tonight!" She told them she needed enough advanced warning to get her good dress on!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

So that explains shock, excitement, love and happiness. But you have not clued us in on your amazement, fear, sense of responsibility, urgency and anticipation! Come on girl, give us more!!!