Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Blessing #2

I was hanging out in the kitchen getting breakfast ready. Spencer turned on the tv in the other room. I overheard something about "sawing off the bone. And this was with no anesthetic." OUCH!!!
It got me thinking about our modern-day conveniences. Here are some of my favorites...

*Cell Phones - How did our parents do without cell phones? If I forget my cell phone at home or the battery is dead, I feel lost.
*DVR - yes, pausing live tv. How cool is that?
*Cable or DSL internet - we recently left dial-up behind and entered the 21st century. No more tying up our phone line.
*Epidurals - I've had five kids - five epidurals. Wouldn't have it any other way
*Central Air & Heat - year-round comfort
*Indoor Plumbing - I don't even want to think about the alternative.
*Meat Department at the local supermarket - Hmmm, raising and slautering your own beef. EWW. EWW. EWW. No thank you.
*Online Banking - less stamps, less trips to the post office, direct deposit, could it get any easier?
*Digital cameras - film is so expensive! If you don't like the pic just delete it
*Antibiotics/Vaccines - I wouldn't still have five kids without them.

Our ancestors had it so rough. But then again, there are many countries who still can only dream of these "conveniences".
So, blessing #2. I am here, in the USA, at this time, the 21st century. We live a very comfortable life and do not experience a fraction of the hardships that those who came before us did.
I don't really have a picture that goes with this. Just started thinking this morning about all the things that we have that our ancestors didn't.

2 comments:

Laura said...

That's not one blessing, that's TEN!!!!!!!!!

Amen!!!!

Laura said...

I know I already commented--but I took your idea of skipping to the next blogs just to see. Here's a list of what I found:
one in japanese
one in vietnese
one in french
one in portugese
and one in I think is russian.

And in the midst is one of some old dude unwrapping "the greatest bachelor gift ever," which fortunately turned out to be just some freaky record.

Great idea!! Ha Ha!