Monday, March 10, 2008

Hooray for Morphine!

Blessing #9 - Morphine!

I am so thankful that morphine works so well and so FAST! Yeah!
I read on a friend's blog that she crawled into bed about 1:30 this morning. Well, that is about the timed I crawled out of bed. I knew Bobby had been to the bathroom a couple of times, but didn't know why. He turned on the light and told me I HAD to get up. Still not quite awake, I stumbled into the bathroom. He looked like he was in pain.
He comes out of the bathroom and starts getting dressed. "You need to call someone!"

"WHO?"

"MY DAD. SOMEONE. I DON'T CARE"

"WHY??" (remember I'm still half asleep and not sure what is going on)

"TO WATCH THE KIDS!"

"WHY??"

"BECAUSE YOU NEED TO TAKE ME TO THE HOSPITAL"

"HUH?" Crud, is it really that bad?

So I run around getting dressed, called his parents, and laying out school clothes for the boys. Bobby seems to be worsening by the minute.

His mom arrives and we leave. I stopped at a red light and he is frustrated at me for not running it. I am going 10 mph over the speed limit. He is pulling on the seat belt telling me to drive faster! I turned to him and said, "You need an epidural!" The man was in PAIN!

So we get to the E.R. and he runs to the bathroom and I sign him in. As soon as the triage nurse called Bobby's name and checked him out, we went straight to the back. The doctor was there in about 2 minutes and the nurse was starting an IV. Doc was pretty confident he knew right away what it was. Kidney Stone.

So they started running fluids in him and the nurse said he was going to get some morphine. He came back and injected "something" into the IV. He said give that a few minutes and if it doesn't work we'll try something else. Bobby is laying on the bed, moaning, on the verge of crying, twisting and turning in pain. 10 minutes later there is no relief. The nurse says he'll be back with something else. "Now we'll try morphine."

I'm thinking "NOW". Isn't that what he told me he was going to get the first time. "What did you give him before??"

"An anti-inflammatory. Sometimes it works." Bobby wouldn't even let me stand next to him. He yelled at me to sit down. AHHHH! Get this man some relief.

Morphine goes in about 3:00 am. Minutes later he is visibly starting to relax. He closed his eyes and started to rest. Yeah! Which means I can take a deep breath and relax now too. Thank Goodness! He pain decreased from a 10 to a 7. Not great at this point, but we'll take it. He was down to a 4 by the time we left.

A CT Scan confirms it is a kidney stone and he just has to wait for it to pass. So after two bags of fluid, an anti-inflammatory, 2 anti-nausea medications, a CT scan, 3 doses of morphine and 2 prescriptions, they let us leave at 6:00 this morning. He is pretty well-medicated right now and resting nicely. I don't know if it's over, but I'm sure not going to wake him to find out.

I got home just in time to see the boys off to school. I made the baby a bottle, feed him and put him to bed. When Kaylie got here at 7:45 she was pretty tired, so I told her to climb into the recliner and take a nap. Even my own two kids slept late this morning! Yeah! So I was able to take a nap until 10 am, when Spencer finally decided to yell from his crib and tell me it was time to wake up. I'm thankful I got the nap I did. :) Now if I could just get a shower...

3 comments:

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

GOODNESS.....Sean has had a kidney stone. Very painful. We were told that the only reason they move is when you are dehydrated, so TELL HIM DRINK LOTS OF LIQUIDS.

gwen said...

Wow- sounds bad! Hope he's better now! Thanks for commenting on my new blog!

Andrea said...

Oh no I hope he is alright! I love your comment, "You need an epidoral!" Love it!! I would have smacked the nurse around for giving the poor guy an anit-inflamitory!! My goodness!!