Friday, May 9, 2008

For Liz and Thomas

My cousin Elizabeth, whom I love, wrote this to bring awareness to congenital heart disease. She has two children, a daughter and a son. She asked that we pass this on to help spread awareness.



As many of you know, Thomas' and I have a son who was born with a heart defect. Our son is beating the statistics that are against him.
Thank you Jesus!

Most kids born with this defect are in heart failure by 4 months old. And many of them die by there 1st birthday. Lil' Thomas is now 7 months old and thriving. There are no signs of heart failure. We couldn't be more blessed. For those that don't know, he was born with three holes in one wall of his heart. Something they call a swiss cheese effect.


I am writing this to help bring awareness to congenital heart disease. 1 in 250 kids are born with it. If you think it can't happen to you it can. It has taken a whole lot for me to get over the bitterness that I have felt that some crackheads have healthier children than I did. I did't drink, I didn't smoke, I took my vitamins. Please be aware that it can happen to you.


Congenital heart defects kill more children than all the childhood cancers combined. And there is little or no awareness about it. We are encouraging you to support the American Heart Association or other related organizations that support heart families. There are orgs that help pay for places to stay and fly to surgeries. Orgs that help pay for treatment. The treatment these kids need is usually financially prohibitive.


My sons cardiologist has a foundation called Louisiana pediatric Cardiology Foundation. And they give grants to help families with he financial need associated with surgery. They are great! They do much more than that also.


My prayer is this. Don't take having a healthy baby for granted. I didn't and this happened. I know that getting pregnant is a blessing in itself. It's hard enough for that to happen. Alot of things have to come together. And having a healty child is even harder.


Please pass this on and spread the awareness.


Thank you and God bless!
Thomas and Liz Walton

No comments: