Thursday, May 22, 2008

Field Day

When I was in elementary school, there were certain days that were highly anticipated. Just like today. I loved the last day of school before holidays and the parties we had, field trips, the very last day of school and Field Day! Preparing for Field Day, the hall would be lined with papers on the wall where you would choose the events you wanted to sign up for. And there seemed to be a wide variety.

Field Day at my sons' school is just not what it used to be. It is class against class. Their entire class participates in every event, relay style. At the end of the event, the coach announces which teacher's class won that event. The kids spend a lot of time sitting around in the heat waiting for another grade to compete in an event, then it's their turn, then sit in the heat and wait again. The whole thing takes about three hours.

But the kids (most of them) make the best of it and have a lot of fun. My first grader refused to participate in the water events and was the only child in his grade to sit on the hot concrete sweating it out while the rest of the kids got soaking wet with cool water and loved it. I even brought him a changed of clothes and a towel, but he was determined.

Andrew's field day was Monday. Bobby took Spencer with him, who of course entertained the girls in the class. We missed Shawn's on Tuesday, because Spencer got sick. Then on Wednesday it was Brian's turn. So, Kaylie and I went. She was miserable. Hot, hungry, thirsty, tired. She was very grateful when we left and headed for the air conditioning. I was too, I love a/c!

I remember being little and loving the last week of school. As a mother, I still love it. The school is so open and welcoming to parents this week!







4 comments:

Ivy said...

I HATED field day. I would have prefered a test to a field day. Running was never my thing and I would have been fine just sitting the bench, but everyone had to participate. Oh well, I survived.

Laura said...

I totally agree that field day is just not what it used to be. What a bummer!

Andrea said...

I loved field day!! In lacassine they call it fun day and they just rent a bunch of bounce houses. Where is the fun in that? The kids love it, but I think field day was more fun!! Great pictures!!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

I can really see the Aucoin in your children.